Mid-Ohio Harley-Davidson's History
Mid-Ohio Harley-Davidson, Inc. was started in October, 1988 by owners Brian R. Cubbage; Melody L. Ude, Brian's sister; and Roland W. "Buzz" Ude, Melody's husband. For the first 24 months, Mid-Ohio Harley-Davidson was located on the same site as the previous dealership, Harley-Davidson of Springfield. We purchased our beginning inventory, and initially contracted for the service department from Harley-Davidson of Springfield.
Our "Grand Opening" was held December 2, 1988, with live local radio coverage from WKSW. It was an well attended event, and proved to area customers that we were here for the long haul. During the next 21 months, sales were brisk, but sales of new units fluctuated as strikes threatened local Navistar. Melody and Brian worked full-time, with Buzz helping when time was available and didn't conflict with his job at Wright Patterson AFB.
It became obvious at the end of our first eighteen months that we had out-grown our location. Brian and Buzz were both looking for a new site and were interested in the "Pelican Pool" site at 1815 E. Main St. Negotiations began and on May 15, 1990 the building was purchased. Every day for the next five months, Brian and Buzz worked a second shift cleaning, pitching and remodeling. The newest Harley-Davidson "Designer Store" began operations in October, 1990 with a second grand opening party. We felt this location was large enough to last for many years.
However, throughout the 1990's our dealership grew at a faster rate than any of us had dreamed. Brian's wife, Kathy, joined the business in 1993 to manage our MotorClothes® apparel sales. Our building was filling up, and in 1995 we built a 1440 square foot "Out Back" facility, thinking this "would do it". But in 1997 we acquired additional space at 1731 E. Main St. for storing motorcycles and additional merchandise.
By 1998 we had completely outgrown the Main St. facility, but we had luck on our side. Brian located two lots for sale at the Laybourne Road industrial site. Occupancy was achieved on January 15, 2000, as the move into our shiny new, 19,000 square foot facility became a reality.